I don’t recall seeing cauliflower for sale in the Kashgar Sunday Market, but I want to do something different than the same old pickled cucumbers.
Karl’s Hot Pickled Cauliflower and Red Peppers
1 medium cauliflower
2 sweet red peppers, seeded
12 cloves garlic
¾ cup sugar
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
2 tsp. coriander seed
2 tsp. black mustard seed
1 tsp. Lajiao (Sichuan chili flakes)
1 tsp. Kosher salt
1. Rinse and cut the cauliflower into florets.
2. Chop the red peppers into large pieces (about 1 inch squares).
3. Slice the shallots (pole to pole) and garlic into thin slices.
4. Pack the vegetables so they are thoroughly mixed into two 1 quart mason jars.
Tip: Use an extra pint jar if you cannot get all of the vegetables into the 2 jars. Add an extra ¼ cup of vinegar and ¼ cup of water if you need to do this.
5. Combine sugar, vinegar and water in a small pot and bring to a boil.
6. Toast the coriander and mustard seeds in a small pan over medium heat and divide them evenly between the mason jars.
7. Add half of the salt and chili to each jar.
8. Pour the hot vinegar over the vegetables in the jars. If the liquid level is not within half an inch of the lip of the jars, add hot water.
9. Put the lids loosely on the jars and in a hot water bath. Ehen the water comes to a full boil, reduce the heat and cook for 10 minutes.