I decided to use the tops of the leeks I was using for my Fishyssoise in a separate dish that Chris, my son-in-law, would eat. He also really likes mushrooms and bacon as well. Making a dish out of these three things fits his keto diet and I wouldn’t mind eating it as well.
Karl’s Sautéed Leek Greens with Mushrooms
½ lb. Cremini mushrooms
3 Leeks, green parts only
3 strips bacon
½ tsp. lemon thyme
¼ tsp. black pepper
Pinch Kosher salt
1 tsp. sherry vinegar
1. Cut the mushrooms into thin slices and chop the leeks into 1 inch pieces.
Tip: For the thicker outer leaves of the leek, cut them in half lengthwise before cutting them into pieces.
2. In a large sauté pan, cook the bacon on medium high heat to render the bacon fat. Remove and reserve the bacon.
3. Without cleaning the pan sauté the mushrooms until they are getting a good brown on both sides.
4. Add the leeks and sauté until almost tender.
5. Crumble the bacon into small pieces and add it, the thyme and the pepper to the pan.
6. Add the sherry vinegar and sauté for two minutes more.
7. Salt to taste and serve.