I am making broiled salmon with dill tonight and I wanted a starch dish to go with it. I thought apples and rice. Then, I thought green onions and tarragon would fit in nicely.
Karl’s Green Onion and Apple Rice
2 Tbs. butter (olive oil for Vegan)
1 cup brown rice
4 green onions, finely slices, separate uses
¼ tsp. kosher salt
1 clove garlic, minced
1 ¾ cup low sodium chicken broth (vegetable broth for Vegan)
1 tsp. tarragon
½ tsp. black pepper
1. Melt the butter in a medium sauce pan and sauté the rice until starting to brown well, about five minutes over medium high heat.
2. Add the white parts of the green onion and the salt. Continue sautéing for two more minutes.
3. Add the garlic and continue cooking for one more minute, until fragrant.
4. Stir in the broth, tarragon, and pepper. Bring the pot to a boil and reduce the heat.
5. Cover the pot and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
6. Stir in most of the green parts of the onions and remove the pot from the heat.
7. Let the rice rest for five minutes, covered.
8. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with the remaining green onion.