I hardly consider this a recipe, but here it is.
Karl’s Grilled Pineapple
1 fresh pineapple
1. Cut the top and bottom off the fruit.
2. Stand the pineapple upright on the cutting board and working around the fruit, slice away the tough skin.
Tip: If you have never used fresh pineapple, I recommend this video as a good rundown on selecting and preparing them.
Note: There are a wide variety of devices that have been created to remove pineapple eyes.I find that many of these devices and techniques to be very wasteful. I personally don’t need another gadget cluttering up my drawer, I simply use a sharp paring knife.
3. Use a paring knife to remove all of the “eyes.”
4. Cut the fruit in half from top to bottom.
5. Cut the halves into quarters.
6. Cut away the tough core at the point of the quarters.
7. If it is a large pineapple, cut the quarters in half, or even thirds—so that you have 8-12 slices.
8. Grill the slices, directly over the heat, for 15-20 minutes per side, until you have good grill marks.
9. Serve with any dish that would benefit with a grilled fruit side or chop into pieces for a fruit addition to a salad. With a scoop of ice cream and toppings, it would make a good sundae.