Before I left home for the first time, I sat down with my mother’s recipe box and wrote down my favorite dishes. This is everything that was written on the original 3×5 card.
Claudia’s Monkey Bread
1½ pkg. dry yeast
¼ cup warm water
1 Tbs. sugar
1 cup milk
½ lb. margarine, separate uses
3 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. salt
3-4 cups flour
1 Tbs. butter
1. Dissolve yeast in water and stir in the sugar.
2. Scald the milk in a medium pot and add ¼ cup of margarine. Let the margarine melt in the cooling milk.
3. When the milk is lukewarm, stir in the eggs, salt and yeast mixture.
4. Beat the flour in gradually with a wooden spoon. Add enough flour to make soft dough.
5. Put the dough in a greased bowl and let it rise.
6. Melt the remaining margarine in a shallow pan.
7. Butter a 10 inch ring mold.
8. Divide the dough into 2 balls.
9. One ball at a time, roll dough out to 1/3 inch thick.
10. Cut the dough sheet with a floured 3 inch diamond-shaped cookie cutter.
11. Dip each piece of dough in the melted margarine and lay them in the ring mold with the points overlapping.
12. Continue rolling out and cutting until all of the dough is in the ring mold. There should be about three layers and the mould should not be more than ¾ full.
13. Let the dough rise for 1 hour.
14. Bake at 400° for about 35 minutes.
15. Turn bread out of the mold while still warm and separate into pieces with two forks.