The kids are gone for the weekend, so Sunday dinner is just Jan, Eilene and myself. I decided to make a roasted chicken and I wanted to do something different than roasted sweet potatoes or a simple mash to go with it. I thought that a savory, crust-less, sweet potato pie would fit the bill as a starchy side dish.
Looking at various recipes on-line, there was nothing even in the ballpark of what I had in mind. Every recipe I found had lots of sugar, butter and dessert spices. I wanted something more like savory mashed potatoes. Looking at my staples, I though orange marmalade, fresh ginger, white pepper, and cardamom would complement the flavor of the sweet potatoes.
Karl’s Twice-Cooked Sweet Potatoes
2 medium orange sweet potatoes (AKA jewel yams)
¼ cup half and half cream
2 Tbs. butter, melted
1 Tbs. Karl’s Ultimate Micro Orange Marmalade with Meyer Lemon or commercial orange marmalade
1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
½ tsp. white pepper, ground
½ tsp. Kosher salt
¼ tsp. green cardamom seeds, ground (about 10 pods)
2 Tbs. crystallized ginger, coarsely minced
1. Wrap the unpeeled sweet potatoes in plastic wrap and punch one or two holes in the wrapping and potatoes with a knife.
Tip: You will want about 1½ cups of cooked and mashed sweet potatoes when you are done.
2. Microwave on high for 4-5 minutes, until a knife slides in easily.
3. Let the potatoes rest, still wrapped, for 10 minutes.
Tip: This makes sure that they are fully cooked.
4. When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, scrape the flesh from the skins.
Note: Discard the skins or sprinkle with ancho chili powder and salt and broil on high for 4-5 minutes to make crispy potato skins.
5. Use a potato ricer to mash the potatoes, so that they have a smooth consistency.
6. Lightly beat the egg, milk, marmalade, butter, ginger, pepper, salt and cardamom in a small bowl.
7. Fold the mixture into the potatoes, until well mixed.
8. Pour the potatoes into a well Pam-ed baking dish.
Tip: You want a dish that will be about ¾ full when you have added all of the potatoes.
Note: You may make this dish ahead up to this point and refrigerate for 3-4 hours before baking.
9. Bake in preheated oven at 350º F for one hour.
Tip: Until knife inserted halfway between center and edge of potatoes comes out clean.
10. Garnish with the crystallized ginger and serve warm.