Having just made my Christmas jams—orange and lemon—I decided to use them in making dinner. I used the lemon marmalade for the chicken. For the broccolini, I chose the orange marmalade. This is really a quick and easy side dish.
Note: If you have not made my marmalade, any commercial orange marmalade will do. For this dish you do not even have to strain out the citrus rind bits.
Karl’s Broccolini with Orange Sauce
½+ lb. broccolini
2 Tbs. butter (use olive oil for Vegan)
2 tbs. Marsala wine
2 Tbs. Karl’s Micro Orange Marmalade
¼ tsp. black pepper
Pinch Kosher salt
1. Rinse and trim off the dry ends of the broccolini.
Tip: You do not need to remove any flowers that have opened.
Note: If your broccolini are a bit limp, after you have trimmed the ends put them, upright, in a bowl of cold water with a tablespoon of vinegar for an hour to refresh them.
2. Steam the broccolini for 6-8 minutes, until a knife easily pierces the thickest stem.
3. Quickly rinse the broccolini in cool water to stop them from over cooking.
4. Melt the butter to the steamer pot and add the wine and marmalade, stir the sauce for 15-20 seconds to cook and mix it together.
Tip: Remove the steamer tray before adding the butter.
5. Add the broccolini, pepper and salt to the pot.
6. Toss to coat and reheat the broccolini.
Tip: Toss gently, you want to coat the vegetables, not mash them.
7. Transfer to a serving dish and serve warm.
Note: Although they are good as a cold salad.