Jan had a Stitching Guild luncheon on Saturday and most of the other people signed up to bring meat dishes. Jan sees her role as to provide a vegetarian option. Normally, I would add toasted pine nuts to my carrot salad, but one of her friends is deathly allergic to nuts.
Karl’s Heirloom Carrot Salad with Raspberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
1 lb. multi-colored heirloom carrots
¼ cup Zante currants
¼ cup toasted pine nuts (optional)
2½ Tbs. vegetable oil
1½ Tbs. red raspberry balsamic vinegar
½ tsp. Agave syrup
¼ tsp. coriander seeds, ground
Pinch celery seeds, lightly crushed
Pinch white pepper
Pinch dry yellow mustard
Pinch Kosher salt
1. Coarsely grate carrots and put them in a medium mixing bowl.
Tip: I used purple, orange, and yellow heirloom carrots to make a festive, colorful salad.
2. Add the currants to the bowl.
3. Put the oil, vinegar, agave syrup, coriander, celery seeds, tarragon, pepper, mustard, and salt in a small jar. Shake well.
4. Pour the dressing over the carrots and toss well to coat.
5. Let the salad rest for at least 20 minutes to meld, tossing occasionally.
Tip: If you are using pine nuts, add them just before serve the salad at room temperature.