I am barbecuing chicken wings for this Sunday’s Dinner and I needed a vegetable side dish. While Jan like corn on the cob, much of what you find in the stores has already gone moldy—pull back the top leaves and take a sniff. My wife will not touch it when it is that state. Fortunately, there is an Summer vegetable stand near us that has really fresh corn.
Karl’s Garlic Lemon Barbecued Corn
4-5 ears of corn
3 Tbs. butter (olive oil for Vegan)
2 Tbs. lemon juice
1 tsp. lemon zest
4 cloves garlic, pressed to a fine paste
Black pepper, to taste
Kosher salt, to taste
1. Remove the husks and silk.
2. Put the butter, juice and zest into a small microwave safe cup and heat for 40 sec. to one minute to melt the butter.
Tip: Keep a close eye not the cup during the last few seconds. You do not want the butter to boil over the cup and make a mess.
Note: I used to add the garlic before I microwaved the butter, but it made the microwave smell like garlic for weeks afterwards.
3. Stir the garlic into the butter and brush the mixture over all sides of the corn.
Tip: Set the corn into a small lipped tray to catch any sauce that drips off the corn.
4. Sprinkle the pepper and salt over all sides of the corn.
5. Roast the corn directly over the hot side of the grill until lightly charred on all sides, about 8-10 minutes.
Tip: Rotate the cobs as each side starts to pick up some color.
6. Move the corn to the cooler side of the grill and close the lid.
7. Continue roasting the corn until it is done to your satisfaction, about 10-15 more minutes.
8. Serve warm.
Tip: I cut each cob into four pieces, for portion control.
Note: Miriam has TMJ, so I cut the kernels from the cob for her.