I’m trying to catch up on my postings. While I did not stop cooking while Jan was working on her book, I did not have time to write them up. We were going to a party and as my contributions I thought I would bring crackers and schmear. My thought was to make a schmear that would be reminiscent of a classic lox bagel—lox, cream cheese, onions and capers.
Karl’s Lox Schmear
12 oz. cream cheese
4+ tsp. cream (I used half and half)
3 oz. lox, minced
3+ Tbs. chives, sliced finely
1 Tbs. nonpareil capers
1. Set the cream cheese on the counter for one hour to soften it.
Tip: Cold cream cheese is just a bit too thick. Adding just a little bit of cream softens it just enough to spread easily.
2. Stir in the cream—a tablespoon at a time—until the cheese has a soft and creamy consistency.
Tip: Save back about half a tablespoon of each to use as garnish.
3. Thoroughly fold in the lox, chives, and capers.
4. Transfer the schmear to a serving bowl and garnish with the remaining ingredients.
5. Cover with plastic wrap and chill, until ready to serve with fresh crackers.