Nephew Braden is coming to Sunday dinner. When Miriam told him about my New York Style pizzas he expressed interest. I learned to make New York style pizza crusts a few weeks ago. Each batch makes enough dough for 2-3 pizzas. To keep things interesting, I usually make each one differently.
A few weeks ago, I made an alfredo-pizza and Miriam suggested that apples would go well with the prosciutto. In addition to the apple and prosciutto pizza with a ricotta za’atar sauce, I made a pepperoni pizza and an artichoke and feta pizza. This recipe is written as if I was making them all the same.
Karl’s New York Style Za’atar Ricotta Pizza with Apple and Prosciutto
1 batch of Karl’s New York Style Pizza Crust
¾ cup fresh ricotta cheese
¼ cup za’atar
3 apple, peeled and sliced very thinly
12 oz. prosciutto, shredded
1. Un-bag your pizza dough and set it on your floured bread board to come to room temperature.
Tip: I store my dough in quart sized plastic bags to ferment for 3-5 days. To keep from mashing my dough I cut up the sides of the bag to free the dough intact.
Note: For directions on making the pizza dough see Karl’s New York Style Pizza Crust.
2. Shape your dough into a pizza shapes and transfer them to a flour dusted peels.
Tip: I use three cookie sheets, and an old flat steel sheet to remove the pizzas from the oven
3. Mix the ricotta and za’atar in a small cup.
Tip: If it seems a bit dry you may add some olive oil to thin out the sauce.
4. Brush the za’atar sauce evenly over the pizza rounds.
Tip: Leave about an inch around the edges dry.
Note: If necessary mix more sauce.
5. Spread about one third of the apple pieces evenly over each pizza round.
6. Scatter one third of the shredded prosciutto over each pizza.
7. Bake each pizza for 8-10 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and the crust is browned on the bottom.
Tip: Rotate the pizza halfway through the cooking time to get an even bake.
8. Transfer the pizza to a wire rack to cool for a few minutes before consuming.
2 responses to “Karl’s New York Style Za’atar Ricotta Pizza with Apple and Prosciutto”
Pingback: Karl’s New York Style Za’atar Pizza with Roasted Artichokes and Feta | Jabberwocky Stew
Pingback: Karl’s New York Style Pepperoni Pizza | Jabberwocky Stew