In the past, I have railed against “add can one to can two” recipes. Given the current Covid crisis, I find I must change my opinion on this subject. When you cannot go out shopping every day for fresh food, all you may have are a couple of cans of foods. Needs must!
Karl’s Crisis Tortilla Soup
1-2 can(s) (15 oz.) chili (I used Stagg Vegetarian Garden)
1 can (14.5 oz.) chicken broth
1 can (4 oz.) diced green chilies
1 Tbs. Better the Bouillon, Chicken
2 cups corn chips, separate uses
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
¼ cup yellow onion, diced
1. Empty the cans into a medium pot.
Tip: Use the chicken broth to rinse out the other cans.
Note: One can of chili produces enough soup for 3 hungry people. If you need to feed more add another can of chili.
2. Stir in the bouillon paste into the soup.
3. Grind one cup of the corn chips into a powder.
Tip: Scoop out the big chips from the bag and use the crumbs in the bottom of the bag.
4. Stir in the corn powder.
5. Simmer the soup until the soup is hot and thickened.
6. Serve with the remaining corn chips, cheese, and onions on the side.