We started a raised bed garden and we had one perfect cucumber. We had also planted basil and chives. So I created this recipe to match these ingredients.
Karl’s Tomato and Cucumber Salad
- 1 cucumber, peeled
- 2 large beef steak tomatoes
- Pinch salt
- ½ cup red onion, sliced thin
- 10 large basil leaves
- 10 chive leaves
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 small clove, mashed fine
- 1 Tbs. Balsamic vinegar
- ¼ tsp. sugar
- ¼ tsp. dry mustard
- ¼ tsp. Black pepper
1. Peel, quarter, seed and chop cucumber and place in a bowl.
2. Seed tomatoes, scraping seeds and jelly into a small bowl. Chop tomato into pieces about the same size as the cucumber. Add tomatoes to the bowl and salt lightly and stir. Place tomatoes and cucumbers into a sieve and drain for ½ hour. Discard fluid. (Note: Strain the tomato jelly and seeds, discard seeds and add jelly to a soup, like Karl’s Crawdaddy Corn Chowder.)
3. Return tomatoes and cucumbers to bowl and add onions.
4. Mix dressing ingredients in a small jar and pour over salad. Mix and refrigerate for 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally.
5. Just before serving, stir in chiffonade basil and chopped chives.