I have always struggled with making latkes. I am forced to limit the amount of oil that I cook with because of Jan’s dietary restrictions. As a result, fried foods are not a common occurrence in my household. Without enough oil in the pan to half-deep fry the potatoes the centers of the latkes never quite get cooked before the outsides are nearing burnt. Thank you cooking shows! I noticed that professional cooks sometimes “finish off” pan-fried dishes to avoid this problem. Ten minutes in a 350° oven insured that they were cooked and did not destroy the crispness of the latkes.
4 cups sweet potatoes (yams), peeled and grated
½ medium yellow onion, grated
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and grated
2 Tbs. brown sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
1/8 tsp. salt
6 Tbs. all-purpose flour
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 Tbs. butter, for frying
2 Tbs. butter, garnish (optional)
½ cup apple sauce
1 tsp. butter
½ tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg, freshly grated
1. Put grated sweet potatoes, onion and apple in large bowl.
2. Add the spices, salt and flour and toss together.
3. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. If the mixture is “soupy” add another tablespoon of flour. Let rest a few minutes.
4. Preheat a heavy griddle and smear lightly with butter.
5. Place 3 tablespoon scoops of potato mixture on the griddle. Press them flat (about ¼ inch thick) and poke them into a round shape so that they are not touching. Fry for about two minutes.
6. Turn the first one over to see how done the bottom is. If it is sufficiently brown, turn the rest of the batch.
7. Place the latke in a single layer on a baking sheet in a 350° while you are makes the rest of the latkes. Let the last batch bakes for at least 5 minutes before serving.
8. Place all of the sauce ingredients in a microwave safe bowl, cover and heat on high for 40 seconds. Stir and cool for a few minutes.
9. Arrange the latkes on a serving platter. If you wish, you may dot the top of the latkes with a few bits of butter just before you present it. Serve the Apple Sauce on the side.