Adapted from a recipe by the National Honey Board
Jan was disappointed to find that the Ethiopian idea of dessert was sour cheese or just coffee. (Actually, after all of that good food who has room for “just one little thin mint?”) She decided to make an Ethiopian inspired desert by adding honey and spices to caramel and using it to make a gelato sundae.
Jan’s Sweet Ethiopia Honey Caramel Sauce Sundaes
½ tsp. nigella (black cumin)
1 cardomon pod, seeds
2 Tbs. butter or margarine
½ cup heavy cream
1 cup honey
½ tsp. vanilla
1 pint Italian vanilla gelato
¼ cup peanuts, chopped
½ tsp. Flor de Sal
1. Melt the butter in a small pot and sauté the cumin and cardamom seeds over medium heat for 30 seconds. Let the spices and butter rest for 10 minutes.
Tip: If necessary reheat the butter slightly to keep it liquid.
2. Pour the butter through cheese cloth to strain out the spices and reserve the butter for sauce. Discard the solids.
3. Combine the honey and cream in heavy saucepan; cook and stir over medium-high heat until mixture reaches 238°F.
4. Thoroughly stir in the butter, vanilla and salt.
5. Pour the caramel into a serving bowl and let it cool.
6. Serve the Italian vanilla gelato with the caramel, nuts and salt on the side to add as the diners choose.
Tip: Caramel may be warmed slightly just before serving.