I am making Greek lamb for Christmas Eve dinner with my sister, Karen. A lettuce salad does not seem like the right side dish. I thought I would do a cold green bean salad.
After Dinner Note: This recipe makes enough salad for 6-8 people, we had 5 in attendance. A before and after picture tells you all you need to know about how this dish was received. Poor Braden, my nephew, who came in later that night, was left wanting. I will make it up to him by feeding him well on the rest of his stay.
Karl’s Green Bean Salad
1½ pounds green beans
10 small heirloom carrots, peeled
2 stalks celery, 2 inch julienne
1 red bell pepper, 2 inch julienne
2½ Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil, separate uses
2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
1½ Tbs. white balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. white miso
1 tsp. white sugar
1 small shallot, sliced thin
1 small clove garlic, crushed
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Pinch Flor de Sal salt, to taste
¼ cup coarsely chopped flat-leafed parsley
1. The day before or at least several hours before dinner, trim and cut the beans and carrots to 2 inches pieces.
Tip: Cut the carrots length-wise in half or quarters so they are about the same side as the greed beans. Cut the celery and red pepper so that they also are the same size, about 2 inch by ¼ inch.
2. Steam the beans and carrots until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Shock the beans and carrots in ice water. Drain well and transfer them to a large bowl.
4. Add the celery and red pepper to the bowl.
5. Measure the 2 Tbs. of oil, the lemon juice, vinegar, miso, and sugar into a small bowl and reserve.
6. Clean the pot that you used to steam the vegetables and add the remaining olive oil.
7. Sauté the shallot and garlic for one minute and then add the contents of the bowl.
8. Rinse the bowl with one tablespoon of water and add it to the pot and cook the dressing for 30 seconds.
9. Add the vegetables to the pot and toss to coat.
10. Add pepper and salt to taste.
11. Toss all to mix and refrigerate for at least one hour, but it is better over night.
Tip: The longer you leave the vegetables to marinate the better this dish will be.
12. Add the parsley and toss again to coat.
Tip: Do not add the parsley until just before serving so that the edges do not turn black and unappealing.
13. Transfer the salad to a serving bowl.