I did a barbecued chicken with a wet Sichuan sauce a few weeks ago and I thought it would go well as a Marinade/basting sauce with Sunday’s tri-tip and mushrooms.
Karl’s Sichuan Pepper Sauce
1+ Tbs. Sichuan pepper, ground, separate uses
¼ cup light soy sauce
¼ cup dark soy sauce
2 Tbs. Xaioxing rice wine
1½ Tbs. yellow onion, finely grated
1½ Tbs. garlic, finely grated
1½ Tbs. ginger, finely grated
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. Chinese black vinegar
1 tsp. sugar
½ tsp. white pepper
¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp. cornstarch mixed with 1 Tbs. water
1. Mix all of the ingredients, except the cornstarch in small pan.
2. Use half of the mixture to marinate your dish (beef, chicken, fish, pork, tofu, or vegetables).
3. Warm the sauce, but do not bring it to a boil.
Tip: Boiling would burn off the volatile elements in the Sichuan pepper.
4. Add the cornstarch and stir until the sauce is thickened.
5. Cool the sauce and set aside.
6. As you are barbecuing, baste the dish several times as it is cooking with the sauce.