My mother, Claudia’s recipe for deviled eggs was fairly standard for the Fifties. This is mostly a Southern (US) recipe. If you went to any church potluck back then, someone would bring these deviled eggs. Everyone’s home recipe was virtually identical, so they almost always tasted the same.
Claudia’s Deviled Eggs
12 hard boiled eggs
½ tsp. paprika
1. Peel the eggs and slice them in half—pole to pole.
2. Pop the yolks halves into a medium sized bowl and mash them finely with the back of a fork.
3. Add the mayonnaise, pickle relish, mustard, pepper, and salt to the bowl.
4. Mix thoroughly with the egg yolks to make a paste.
Tip: Add a bit more mayonnaise if the paste seems too dry.
5. Lay the egg halves—hole side up—on a platter.
Tip: You can buy deviled egg platters with little indentations to keep the eggs from sliding around.
6. Scoop the egg yolk mixture into each hole to fill it to over flowing.
7. Sprinkle the tops with paprika.