I wanted a starch dish to go with my fried salmon. I wanted something that was quick and easy. Couscous cooks in just minutes and can be a very versatile starch. A bit of this and a bit of that and viola, dinner is served.
Karl’s Couscous Florentine
2 Tbs. butter (vegetable oil for Vegan)
½ yellow onion, sliced thinly pole to pole
pinch Kosher salt
1 clove garlic, mashed
½ tsp. chervil (parsley)
pinch black pepper
1 cup low sodium chicken broth (vegetable broth for Vegan)
1 cup baby spinach, chopped finely
¾ cup fine grained couscous
2-3 Tbs. pine nuts, toasted
1. Melt the butter in a medium pot, over medium high heat, and add the onions and salt.
2. Sauté the onions until just starting to pick up some color, 5-7 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and continue sautéing for one more minute.
4. Add the chervil, pepper and chicken broth and bring the pot to a boil.
5. Stir in the spinach and couscous.
6. Cover the pot and remove it from the heat.
7. Let the couscous rest for five minutes.
8. Fluff the couscous with an fork.
9. Transfer the couscous to a serving bowl and garnish with the toasted pine nuts.