I was looking for a vegetable side dish to go with my meatloaf. A few weeks ago, I discovered that letting the root vegetables marinate in a marmalade base worked really well as a salad dressing. This is what I settled on for tonight’s salad.
After Dinner Note: Jan really, really liked this salad—she scrapped the bowl.
Karl’s Asian Pear-apple , Radish and Arugula Salad
1+ Tbs. Karl’s Micro Orange Marmalade
1+ Tbs. vegetable oil
½ tsp. French thyme
pinch black pepper
pinch Kosher salt
1 Asian Pear-apple
2-3 large red radishes
2-3 cups arugula
1. Mix the marmalade, oil and spices in a medium bowl.
Tip: The dressing will seem very thick at this point. The moisture released by the vegetables will thin the dressing out.
2. Peel, quarter and slice the Asian pear-apple thinly and put it in the bowl.
Tip: If you have a mandoline, slice the vegetables directly into the bowl.
3. Slice the radishes into the bowl.
Tip: If they are very large radishes cut them in half pole to pole.
4. Mix the vegetables into the dressing and let the melt for at least half an hour.
5. Just before serving toss the arugula with the vegetables and dressing to mix and coat.
5 responses to “Karl’s Asian Pear-apple , Radish and Arugula Salad”
Pingback: Karl’s Meatloaf with Orange Marmalade Sauce | Jabberwocky Stew
Pingback: Karl’s Fry Bread | Jabberwocky Stew
Pingback: Karl’s Wild Rice and Arugula Salad with Cranberries and Pecans | Jabberwocky Stew
Pingback: Karl’s Santa Maria Coleslaw | Jabberwocky Stew