Adapted from a recipe in The Organic Kitchen Garden calendar (June)
While Jan and Eilene were in Hopi, I made a large pile of tamales for later meals. I served them for Father’s Day dinner and I decided to make two sauces to pour over the somewhat dry tamales. At Miriam’s request I made a mole. While I was deciding on the second sauce, Jan noticed a recipe on the kitchen calendar. As usual, I could not follow the recipe, but had to make “improvements.”
Note: Every year I find—or I am gifted—a “food” related calendar for the kitchen. This years it was The Organic Kitchen Garden.
After Dinner Note: This recipe got a lot of compliments during dinner.
Karl’s Blackberry Salsa
1 cup ripe blackberries
½ cup yellow onion, diced finely
1 Jalapeño, diced finely
1 cup cilantro chopped finely
2 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. sugar
Pinch Kosher salt
1 ripe avocado
1. Cut each berry into 3-5 slices and put them in a bowl.
2. Add the onion, Jalapeño, cilantro, vinegar, sugar, and salt.
3. Use a pastry cutter to mash the berries slightly and mix the ingredients together.
4. Just before serving, mash the avocado in a small bowl and fold it into the berry mixture.
5. Chill the salsa for 10-15 minutes, to meld.
6. Serve cool.