Usually, I simply throw a large sweet potato into the oven and roast it whole. My diners may then cut off as much or little potato as pleased them. Since I never did anything more than prick the potato with a fork, I have never posted this dish, because it is hardly a recipe.
For this Sunday’s dinner I was having a bit of a Stone Soup with my dishes. I thought about what more I could do to sweet potatoes. Putting the butter, pepper and salt on before roasting came to mind.
Karl’s Roasted Sweet Potatoes
1 large sweet potato (or two medium potatoes)
2 Tbs. butter, melted (olive oil for Vegan)
Black pepper, to taste
Fleur de sel, to taste
1. Pre-heat the oven to 400º F.
2. Trim any bad spots and cut the potato into portion sizes.
Tip: What you consider a portion is a personal choice, but for a 2 inch thick potato I decided it about 2½ -3 inches.
Note: Since you have opened the potato, you do not need to prick the skin with a fork.
3. Brush the butter all over the potato pieces and place them on a lipped baking tray.
4. Before the butter congeals, sprinkle fresh cracked pepper and the flaky sea salt all over the potato pieces.
5. Roast the potatoes until a knife slides easily into the thickest potato, 30-45 minutes.
6. Transfer to a bowl and serve warm.