Daughter Miriam has been sick lately and cannot eat anything in the pepper or lily families— no chili powders, garlic, leeks, onion, or peppers (even bell peppers). This has made Sunday dinners quite a challenge lately. I decided to barbecue some tri-tip this Sunday and I thought a cold vegetables salad would go well with the beef.
Note: My followers may have noticed that I have not been posting as much lately. My wife is off from teaching for the Summer and she decided that it was a good time to clear out the garage. Oh, joy! Going through boxes that have not been opened in twenty years. While I have still been making new dishes, I have fallen behind in writing them up.
Karl’s Two Bean and Cucumber Salad
1 Tbs. olive oil
½ Tbs. white balsamic vinegar
½ tsp. thyme, fresh or dried
½ tsp. fresh basil, chiffonade
Pinch black pepper
Pinch Kosher salt
(Optional) 1 clove garlic, cracked
(Optional) 1 small green onion, sliced finely
1. Put all of the dressing ingredients in a small lidded jar and shake it well.
Tip: Let the dressing meld for at least half an hour.
Note: I left out the garlic and onion for Miriam, feel free to add them if you wish.
2. Cut the beans into 2 inch pieces and steam them until tender crisp, about 3-4 minutes.
3. Shock the beans in ice water to prevent them from over cooking.
4. Drain the beans and let them dry for a few minutes.
5. Roll cut the cucumbers into two inch pieces.
6. Put the vegetables in a bowl and pour the dressing over them.
7. Toss to mix and coat the vegetables.
Tip: Let the salad rest, re-tossing occasionally, to meld the flavors.
8. Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.