I’m barbecuing a Nevis jerked chicken for the Fourth of July and I wanted some vegetables side dishes to go with the heavy meat main dish. The women of my family really like grilled squash and tomatoes, but I did not want to use the same Nevis spice blend on the vegetables. For the squash, I decided to use the Middle Eastern spice blend za’atar. To make it Noom friendly I reduced the amount of oil.
Note: Unlike much of the rest of the Caribbean cuisine’s jerked chicken, Nevis spice blend is not fiery hot.
Karl’s Za’atar Grilled Vegetables
1 yellow neck squash
10 small tomatoes (1-1 ½ inches)
1 Tbs. olive oil
2 Tbs. za’atar
Pinch black pepper
Pinch Kosher salt
1. Slice the squashes into about one inch pieces.
2. Alternate the squashes and tomatoes on the bamboo skewers.
3. Lightly brush the vegetables with the olive oil.
Tip: You do not want them dripping with the oil, you just want enough for the spices to stick.
4. Sprinkle the za’atar all over the corn.
5. Sprinkle the vegetables with pepper and salt.
6. Grill the vegetables over the barbecue for 15-20 minutes, until starting to char.
Note: If you do not have a barbecue, you may put the corn under the broiler.
7. Transfer the vegetables to a serving bowl and serve warm.