Topping for the fish tacos.
Karl’s Cal Col Roja en Escabeche (Pickled Red Cabbage)
½ head red cabbage, finely shredded
1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 Tbs. cilantro, chopped
4 Tbs. lime juice, fresh
2 Tbs. agave syrup
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. black pepper
1. Julienne the cabbage and red onion (slice them very thinly) and put them in a medium bowl.
2. Add finely chopped cilantro.
3. Mix the lime juice, agave syrup, salt and pepper in a small bowl and pour the sauce over the vegetables.
4. Mix the vegetables well and let them marinate at least four hours. Stir them every half hour or so.
5. You may uses the pickles now or put them in an airtight jar for up to a week. The will improve with age.
Note: If you are planning ahead make these pickles the day before you intend to use them.