This is a side dish that I made to go with my Persian feast. I do not know if any Persian would come up with this dish. I am simply using Persian ingredients in a way that pleases me.
Karl’s Persian Brussels Sprouts with Mushrooms
1 lb. small Brussels sprouts
1 Tbs. olive oil
¾ lb. tiny button mushrooms
2 Tbs. butter (olive oil for vegan)
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbs. pomegranate molasses
½ tsp. black pepper
1 Tbs. pomegranate balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. advieh
¼ cup pomegranate seeds
1. Pre-heat the oven to 425° F.
2. Trim the bottoms off of the Brussels sprouts and remove any damaged leaves. If large, cut in half.
Tip: Today I am using the smallest Brussels sprouts I could find.
3. Blanch the Brussels sprouts for one minute.
4. Toss the Brussels sprouts in olive oil to coat.
5. Spread the Brussels sprouts out on a roasting pan and roast for 20-30 minutes, stirring once after about 15 minutes, until brown and caramelized. Remove and reserve.
6. While the sprouts are roasting trim the mushrooms.
Tip: Today I am using the smallest mushrooms I could find. My farmer’s market had a lot that were less than half an inch. I plan to use them whole, but if you cannot find them that small you may half or quarter larger ones.
7. Melt the butter in a large sauté pan and brown the mushrooms, about 8 to 10 minutes.
8. Add the garlic and cook stirring for one minute more.
9. Add the Brussels sprouts, pepper, salt and pomegranate molasses. Toss to coat.
10. When the sprouts are re-heated, add the vinegar and sprinkle with the advieh. Toss to coat once more and remove to a serving bowl.
11. Garnish with the pomegranate seeds and serve.