I usually serve a simple green salad when I make cioppino. Today I decided to do something special for Jan’s birthday. I picked up some nice green beans at yesterday’s farmers market. She also likes roasted vegetables and Big Paws Mission Fig balsamic vinegar. I thought I would combine all of these things into a cold salad to go with the fish stew.
Karl’s Roasted Green Bean Salad
1 lb. green beans
2 cloves garlic, crushed finely
2 Tbs. olive oil
½ tsp. black pepper
½ cup sweet red pepper
¼ cup red onion
1½ Tbs. Big Paws Mission Fig balsamic vinegar
Pinch Kosher salt
1. Rinse and trim green beans. Cut into two inch pieces.
2. Place beans in a bowl and toss with olive oil, crushed garlic and black pepper to coat.
3. Spread beans in a single layer on a shallow lipped baking tray.
4. Broil 2 inched from the element for 10 minutes.
Tip: Stir the tray at 5 minutes to cook both sides of the beans.
5. When beans are tender crisp and starting to char slightly remove them from the oven and return them to the bowl.
6. Cut the pepper into 2 inch by ¼ inch pieces and slice the onion into thin strips.
7. Add the pepper, onion, vinegar and salt to the bowl. Toss to coat and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
8. Toss the beans with the greens and serve.