Before I left home for the first time, I sat down with my mother’s recipe box and wrote down my favorite dishes. I have referenced my mother’s strada before, but I did not post the original recipe. Today I am posting another variation, so I thought I would put up Claudia’s family recipe. My memory is she was making this in the Fifties, long before it became a fashionable dish in the Seventies.
Claudia’s Cheese Strada
5 slices white bread
4 Tbs. butter
1 eggplant (optional)
¾ cup milk
¼ cup sherry
½ tsp. garlic salt
½ tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 cup cheese, shreaded
1. Cube bread and toast in a pan with melted butter.
2. Cube eggplant and boil in slightly salted water, until just soft. Drain well.
3. Mix the next 7 ingredients in a bowl to make the sauce.
4. Layer the bread and eggplant cubes in a casserole alternatively with the grated cheese.
5. Pour the sauce over the bread and cheese and bake at 350° for 30 minutes.