Adapted from an Eating Well recipe
I am making a Spanish tapas dinner for this Sunday. Knowing my family as I do, I knew that I needed one or two hors d’oeuvre tapas—that I could make well ahead—to keep them in check while I finished the other tapas. While some tapas have a fairly set ingredients list—like Tortilla Española—others allow for more creativity. Roasting chickpeas into crunchy “nuts” lends themselves to creative variations.
Karl’s Tapas: Garbanzos Picantes Asados (Roasted Spicy Chickpeas)
1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1 Tbs. olive oil
2 tsp. cumin, ground
½ tsp. Pimentón de la Vera
½ tsp. Garlic powder
¼ tsp. Kosher salt
1. Preheat the oven to 450° F and set the rack to the upper level.
2. Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
Tip: Pick out any loose skins.
3. Dry the chickpeas on a paper towel and put them in a medium bowl.
4. Toss the chickpeas with the oil to coat.
5. Mix the spices together and put them in a spice shaker.
6. Sprinkle the spices over the chickpeas and toss them with a spatula to spread the seasoning evenly over the beans.
7. Spread the chickpeas, in a single layer, on a small baking sheet.
8. Roast the chickpeas for 25-35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Tip: The garbanzo beans should be toasted and crunchy. If they are not, give them a few more minutes in the oven.
9. Let the beans cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes.
10. Transfer the chickpeas to a small bowl and serve as a snack or starter.
One response to “Karl’s Tapas: Garbanzos Picantes Asados (Roasted Spicy Chickpeas)”
Pingback: Karl’s Tapas Dinner | Jabberwocky Stew