Adapted from a Orce Serrano Hams recipe
Karl’s Tapas: Chorizo Relleno de Pepino (Chrizo stuffed Cucumber)
½ Large English cucumber (about 6 inches)
1 small Spanish chorizo (6 inches x ½ inch thick)
1. Slice the end from the thickest part of the cucumber and them cut off 6 inches.
Note: I used the rest of the cucumber in my gazpacho.
2. Use a vegetables peeler to remove strips of the bitter peel.
3. Using a long narrow bladed knife, cut all around the cucumber seeds.
4. Cut out the seeds and scrape out the insides of the hole.
Tip: This is a delicate balance. You want your hole to be small enough that the sausage is wedged into the cucumber—so that it does not fall out after you slice it up. However, if your hole is too small, the cucumber will split open.
6. Take the chorizo and gently push the whole sausage into the cucumber.
Note: You can make this tapas up to this point several hours before serving and then make the final cuts just before serving.
7. Using a very sharp knife, cut the cucumber and sausage into half inch slices.
8. Arrange the slices on a plate and serve.
Note: You may serve with the dip of your choice.