Adapted from a Caribbean Pot recipe
I wanted a cooling salad to go with my spicy jerked chicken and this one sounded like a good one. The mango does not fit into the Ketogenic diet, but Chris can give Myr his mango if he wishes, the rest should be OK for him. I replaced the original grapefruit with orange, because it is less sour and I prefer it.
I did not have a second orange to juice for the dressing. I was using lime and orange juice for the jerk chicken. I decided that lime juice would pair with the orange pieces to carry on the theme in the salad. I reduced the amount of sour juice, so I could also reduce the amount of honey, a keto no-no.
I made the same decision on the chili, since I did not have the chili called for. I substituted Scotch bonnet pepper for the green chili in the original recipe. However, I do not want this to be a fiery salad, so I will be using just a hint of the pepper.
Karl’s Caribbean Shrimp, Avocado and Mango Salad
1 Tbs. lime juice
pinch Scotch bonnet pepper, minced fine
½ tsp. honey
1 Tbs. canola oil
¼ tsp. grated ginger
¼ tsp. black pepper
Pinch Kosher salt
¾ lb. shrimp (cooked)
1 navel orange
¼ cup red onion
1 cup grape tomatoes
2 Tbs. cilantro, chopped
1. Mix the dressing and let it meld for 20 minutes.
2. If not using precooked shrimp, steam and clean them. Put them in a large mixing bowl.
3. Do not use an over ripe mango, or it will turn into mush. You want one that is just a little bit green, so that the pieces maintain their shape. Cut it up into bite sized pieces and add them to the bowl.
4. Peel and break the orange into segments. Cut the large segments in half and add them to the bowl.
5. Slice the red onion thinly. Add them and the tomatoes to the bowl.
6. Pour the dressing over the ingredients in the bowl and toss lightly to coat.
7. Just before serving, cut the avocado into bite sized pieces.
8. Add the avocado and cilantro to the bowl and toss lightly to mix.
9. Serve immediately.