Yams go very well with ham. They also cook much more quickly than regular potatoes. This makes them perfect for my time-delayed dinner. We are going out to a movie and I need to do the prep before we go, but have everything pulled together quickly after we get back.
After Dinner Note: How good was this dish? Chris is on a diet that only allows him to eat about 7 grams of carbohydrates per day. He had been very good at maintaining this diet for the last several months. He took a tablespoon of sweet potatoes; he then took a whole serving; then a second serving. I am a bad influence – Bwa-ha-ha-ha.
Karl’s Mashed Yams
2 lb. Jewel yams
1/3 cup half and half cream
2 Tbs. butter
2+ tsp. cinnamon, separate uses
1 tsp. allspice
½ tsp. white pepper, ground
Pinch Kosher salt (to taste)
Pinch nutmeg, fresh grated
1. Peel and cut the yams into a medium dice (about ¾ inch). Put the yams in a medium pot and cover with water. Cover the pot and set it on the stove until you are ready to cook.
Tip: I am getting everything ready so I can just turn on the burners when I return from the movie.
2. Put the half and half, butter, 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, the allspice, and pepper into in a microwave safe cup and place it in the refrigerator.
Tip: During the long delay the spices should infuse the cream with their spicyness.
3. When you are ready to cook, turn on the stove and bring the yams to a boil. Once boiling reduce the heat and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, until a knife slides in easily.
4. When the yams are cooked, put the cup of cream in the microwave and heat on high for 1 minute.
Tip: This warms the cream and melts the butter. Depending on your microwave you may need more or less time. You want it hot enough to melt the butter, but you do not want it to boil over.
5. Drain and mash the yams.
Tip: I use a potato ricer to get perfectly smooth mashed potatoes.
6. Whisk in the hot cream mixture and salt. Check the seasoning and add more salt if necessary.
7. Transfer the potatoes to a serving bowl and garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon and fresh grated nutmeg.