I am making a roasted chicken with some pear jam that I was given as a Christmas gift. I thought that some people might need a substitute for this ingredient, if they cannot find commercial pear jam. I thought a quick small batch jam was what was needed.
Note: I have not actually made this jam, but I think I will in the future.
Karl’s Bartlett Pear Quick Jam
1 Bartlett pear
½ cup sugar
¼ cup water
½ tsp. lemon juice
¼ tsp. vanilla
1. Quarter, core and peel the pear.
2. Chop the pear into small bits and put them in a small pot.
3. add the sugar, water, and lemon juice to the pot.
4. Bring the pot to a boil, reduce the heat, stir and simmer for 15 minutes.
Tip: Mash the fruit bits against the side of the pot with the spoon to break them up.
5. Stir in the vanilla and continue simmering until the jam starts to thicken, another 5-15 minutes.
6. Transfer the jam to a small sterile jar and let it cool.