I had made a chili chicken for Sunday’s dinner and had plenty of chicken to work with in making other meals. If the chicken is already cooked, tacos are a quick and easy weeknight meal. If you have not roasted a chicken, a deli chicken makes a good substitute.
Note: While I am making this with leftover chicken breast meat, it is quite easy to cut up some raw chicken to fry and make this dish from scratch.
Karl’s Leftover Chicken Fajita Tacos
¾ lb. three chile roast chicken meat
1 small yellow onion
1 Jalapeño pepper,
½ green bell pepper, sliced into thick match sticks
½ red bell pepper
2 Tbs. corn oil or chicken fat
2 Tbs. Karl’s Four Chile Chili Powder
2-3 tortillas per person
Karl’s Salsa Fresca
½ cup yellow onions, diced
½ cup cheese, grated
½ cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
1. Slice the chicken into thick matchsticks and set them aside.
2. Cut the onions, pole to pole, into thin half moons.
3. Cut the peppers into thick match sticks.
4. Heat the oil in a large pan, over medium high heat, and sauté the onions until soft, about five minutes.
Tip: I had saved the pan drippings from my roast chicken and the fat had floated to the top and congealed. I used two tablespoons of this to grease my pan.
5. Add the peppers to the pan and continue sautéing until the vegetables are soft, about another five minutes.
6. Pull the vegetables to the sides of the pan and sprinkle the chili powder over the hole in the center of the pan.
7. Bloom the spices for 20-30 seconds and then stir them into the vegetables.
8. Add a quarter cup of water or beer to deglaze the pan and to create a sauce.
9. Add the chicken and warm it through, tossing it ot coat it with the sauce, about another 2 minutes.
10. Transfer the taco filling to a serving bowl and serve it with tortillas and your favorite toppings.
4 responses to “Karl’s Leftover Chicken Fajita Tacos”
Pingback: Karl’s Chicken Bone Broth Chili Bean Soup | Jabberwocky Stew
Pingback: Karl’s Three Chile Roast Chicken | Jabberwocky Stew
Pingback: Karl’s Simplified Mole Poblano | Jabberwocky Stew
Pingback: Karl’s Taco Stuffed Avocados | Jabberwocky Stew